We all love ‘football’ now, judging by mangled Koiwi / Eastenders accents developing in time for the opening matches. Kick off times are not ideal (read: shithouse) for us, ranging from 1am to 7am, but pub owners are scheming to get your cash off you right now. Here’s where to spend your sick days.
– Bluestone Room. Sister pub to Copper Room in Takapuna, and they’re laying out the red carpet for the WC judging by the blurry WC pics on their site. Got quite a crowd apparently for the Champions League final, and had Radio Sport muppets broadcasting live from the bar. Has potential.
– Cock and Bull, various venues. If fake, souless ‘English’ ‘pubs’ are your thing (Ellerslie C+B is an honorable exception), this is the place. They’re only showing 7am-ers and big matches are ticketed events, I’d give it a miss unless you’re desperate.
– Mad Dogs and Englishmen, various venues. See above. Nothing available on the web, but this is another self consciously ‘English’ venue, so should have something on.
– Rose and Crown, Quay St. Popular with heavy drinking Liverpool fans during Champions League finals. Very football friendly, and TVNZ send cameras down there to film fans on those days they feel like covering football. Nothing on the web, of course but a solid choice by all accounts.
– Claddagh, Broadway, Newmarket. Plans for WC not finalised, will depend entirely on owner Noel getting his shit together. With reasonable Guinness and OK food, the Claddagh has real potential, but depends on whether the big screen outside is operational. There’s a fantastic quiz on Wednesdays, which should have WC content in coming weeks. Just watch for the muppets who usually come third.
This Saturday night / Sunday morning will be be a good warm up, with an England match kicking off at 1am Sunday – the only time this occurs. Where are you going to watch?